With the Beijing Olympics fast approaching, I had completely forgotten that it was just a little over a year ago that the London Olympic Organizing Committee publicly unveiled their logo for the 2012 Games.
However, my memory was refreshed this afternoon when I saw a taxi drive by bearing the London logo on one of its door panels (I'm in London).
Seeing the logo made me smile. That's because when it was publicly announced, public criticism was almost universal, with such comments as:
- "It looks like a broken swastika."
- "Origami meets high explosives."
- "Surveillance video of Hugh Grant and Divine Brown."
- "Naughty Lisa Simpson logo."
- "Man bent over with back pain."
- "Car skidding out of control."
But if the logo is appearing on public transportation, I guess they're keeping it. (They paid $800,000 for it.)
I still think it's ugly. I liked these renderings better: